Mountain bikes are very common among riders. However, keeping up its performance needs proper cleaning. It is advisable to perform a quick and thorough cleaning after every ride. Regardless of the road condition and climate, washing after every ride preserves the bike’s condition. So, pay utmost attention to the parts and ensure proper cleaning after a great ride with your mountain bike.
Having a mountain bike is probably one of the best things for riders. However, if you wish to enjoy the ultimate cycling experience, you have to make sure about its maintenance. Making sure of cleaning every part will ensure that you can enjoy a great ride regardless of the season.
So to let you get more detail about the cleaning, we will find out the best way to clean and maintain your MTB.
How to deep clean your mountain bike?
Maintaining a mountain bike is a tedious task. Deep cleaning is mandatory to prevent dust and dirt buildup in the parts. You need to pay attention to the parts of your mountain bike while cleaning.
However, being a novice, it can be troublesome to decide where to start. So, pay attention to the bike chain, gears, cassette, derailleur, and wheels. These parts combined help the bike to perform the best. Cleaning each part individually will help to eliminate dust and dirt.
How to clean bike gears and chains?
Cleaning the chain and gears of your cycle will first require you to use a good bicycle cleaner. Before cleaning, use the bike stand for a secured resting position. Now you need to put cleaner throughout the chain by using a cleaner with one hand and rolling the pedal with another.
Leave it for a few minutes before you start cleaning the links in the chain and gear using a brush. Once thoroughly cleaned, you will find grease and dirt dripping from gears and chains. Lastly, use another dry and clean cloth and clean the chain and gears.
how to clean bike cassette?
Start by shifting the gears to ensure the chain reaches one end of the bike’s cassette. Use a good amount of degreaser or soap. Make sure that you take adequate amounts for thorough cleaning of cogs except for the one with a chain. After you have done all, you need to shift the chain to the other end and clean the left cogs.
how to clean bike derailleur?
You need to start by spraying with a degreaser. Use a brush to scrape off excess dirt that gets accumulated in the case of rear and front derailleurs. Leave it for a few minutes to let it sit and break off the dirt buildup. Once done, use a dry cloth to wipe off the grime, and it shall look new. Experts recommend keeping the pivots lubricated for more benefit.
how do clean mountain bike wheels?
Spray the degreaser or cleaner of your choice and use an old toothbrush to scrub its top surface. Make sure you leave it for a few minutes to loosen the grime, and then, using a clean cloth, wipe the rim. For the tires, you can use soapy water and a sponge. It will be useful in making the wheel shine like new.
The best way to clean a dirty mountain bike
While riding a clean bike provides a pleasant experience, leaving it dirty can snatch your experience. So, to ensure the longevity of a mountain bike, cleaning is a vital aspect. You can choose to clean as you desire but here are the best ways for a clean MTB.
Clean mountain bike car wash
You can use your citrus-based car wash detergents for cleaning your mountain bike. This is especially true if you are riding during monsoons. The dirt and dust can result in accumulating grease and grime. So, using a perfect cleanser that you use for your car can work best on your MTB.
Mountain bike hose wash
After you have cleaned with soapy water or car wash detergents, you can use your hose. It can be especially beneficial to clean mud or dirt buildup in tough areas. Use a hose that can splash the force of water to break down the dust in the areas where your hands cannot reach.
The right answer is how to properly wash mountain bike
Mountain bikes are pleasant to ride when they are in the best condition. This makes maintenance a vital part of it. Accumulation of dust and dirt can snatch away its performance. Hence, every bike enthusiast who wants to ride every season must have a clear knowledge about its cleaning. It is the only way to maintain and keep enjoying an outstanding riding experience.
- Find the bike wash area: It is crucial to find a proper spot for cleaning your bike. Make sure that there is proper drainage to maintain a clean area. It is advisable to ensure that the water does not splash back onto the bike. Remember that pressure washing is not a great choice every time as it snatches away grease from suspension and bearings.
- Take your cleaning equipment: put your bike on the stand and get all the cleaning materials. Make sure you have a clean cloth, brush, detergent, and hose ready. Before using any type of car product, make sure to read the description and check if it is safe to use on cycles.
- Rinse the cycle: Use a soft sponge and clean the cycle. Remember to use a soft sponge or brush to prevent scratches. Reach every corner of your bike and then rinse it thoroughly using water.
- Drivetrain and tires: Use warm water and a firm brush and directly apply to scrub the tires. It is beneficial; to get rid of dirt from the rim, tread, and sidewall. Also, check the cassette and drivetrain of the MTB.
- Rinse thoroughly: Once you have cleaned every part of your mountain bike, it is advisable to rinse thoroughly. Make sure you inspect properly in the tough parts to ensure the accumulation of dirt. Once you are happy with the result, rinse thoroughly.
- Leave it to dry: Once you have cleaned your cycle, it is time for you to leave it to dry. Always remember that you must not leave a wet bike outside. Use a soft clean cloth to wipe off water and then let it dry.
- Use lubricant on the cassette and chain: Make sure that you use proper lubricants on the chain and cassette. Make sure that you use the best quality products to ensure flawless riding.
What accessories do I need to wash?
To ensure a safe ride, your mountain bike is a necessity. But can you pay less attention to the accessories that you need? No! So, we will also try to find out ways to clean the bike accessories.
how do wash mountain bike gloves?
Since bike gloves are a must while riding, you cannot avoid them. So make sure that you clean the gloves after every wash to get rid of irritation on the skin.
- Use lukewarm water with a mild cleanser.
- Dip the bike gloves and let it soak for a few minutes.
- Gently clean the gloves using your hand.
- Let it dry.
How to wash mountain bike shoes?
Your mountain bike shoes are the ones to remain exposed to dust and dirt. Especially if you are riding in the rain, you will find them dirty after every ride. Use a damp cloth to remove the dust or crust. Use a mild soap and mix with water. Dunk your shoes into the bucket with the solution for proper cleaning. Leave them for a few minutes and then use soft bristles to brush it thoroughly. Finally, when you are happy, you soak them with paper and leave them to dry.
How to wash a mountain bike helmet?
- Cleaning a bike helmet is very simple. You need a solution of water and soap. Use the mild liquid for the helmet pads. Gentle washing is enough to get rid of dust. Once done, leave them for air drying.
- The next important thing is to clean the helmet strap. You can make the same solution that you made for helmet pads. Dip and rub them with your hands. Scrub hard if the straps are light-colored.
After washing your bike, what should you do?
So now that you know how to clean your mountain bike, one last step is left. Remember that after you wash the mountain bike with a pressure washer, it takes away the lubricant from the chain links and cassette. So, after a thorough cleaning, you need to lube your mountain bike. It will be helpful in ensuring a flawless ride. To know more about how often to lube your mountain bike.
Do you clean your MTB after every ride?
Yes. When you wash your mountain bike after ride regardless of the season, it keeps your bike in the best condition. Besides, if you are riding during monsoons, it is a must. This way you can stay assured that your bike is in the best condition to go for a ride.
Is it OK to spray your bike with water?
You have to be very careful about it. As pressure washing can be damaging for the sensitive bearing system, you need to be vigilant.
Do you need to grease your bike chain?
Yes! It is mostly advisable that the rider must lube the chain before they go for a ride. It would ensure a flawless ride throughout.
Can I wash my bike at a carwash?
There is no specific answer to this. If you are using a mild car wash detergent, then yes you can but mostly it is not advisable. Since the carwash liquids are highly concentrated, it can be corrosive. Besides, high-pressure spraying is not a great technique for mountain bikes.
How to wash a bike with disc brakes?
You can use mild water and soap for cleaning the disc brakes. It is greatly helpful in reducing contamination of the rotor and pads.
When you have a mountain bike, maintenance is a must. It is suggested to clean the mountain bikes after every ride to ensure a pleasurable experience. From the information mentioned here, you will be able to acquire knowledge about the way to clean your bike and its accessories.