With the abundance of bike computers and smartwatches available, carrying your mobile phone while cycling may seem redundant. However, having your phone within range is necessary for your smartwatch to function. Knowing how to carry your phone while cycling can be challenging, but there are ways to do it comfortably and safely.
Two crucial factors to consider when carrying your phone while cycling are its safety and the potential impact on your performance. To ensure efficient and safe carrying of your phone, these factors must be kept in mind.
Luckily, there are several effective methods for carrying your phone while cycling, and this article aims to help you find the most suitable method for your needs. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced cyclist, we have you covered with some of the most useful and effective ways to carry your phone.
Table of Contents
Why You Might Want To Carry Your Phone While Cycling
Carrying your mobile phone while cycling serves several purposes. Before exploring the most effective ways to carry your phone, it’s essential to understand the reasons for doing so. Here are some of the main reasons why you may want to carry your phone while cycling:
- Data Tracking: Many modern bike computers and watches can connect to your mobile device via Bluetooth. Carrying your phone while cycling ensures that information is rapidly uploaded to these devices for real-time tracking of your cycling performance.
- Staying In Touch: If you are a social butterfly or you are expecting an important call, you might want to take your phone along for the ride. It helps ensure that you can stay in touch and connect whilst riding your bike.
- Safety: If something goes wrong and you are cycling alone, having your phone can allow you to signal for help. Many people carry their mobile devices along to ensure they are always connected and can easily call for help when needed.
- Music: For casual cyclists who want to enjoy their favorite tunes while riding, carrying a mobile phone with Bluetooth headphones is an excellent option. This allows you to listen to music wirelessly while cycling on your mountain bike.
- Photos: For avid photographers, carrying a mobile device while cycling allows them to take pictures along the way. With modern mobile devices having high-quality cameras, you can snap photos of scenic routes and capture memories while cycling on your mountain bike.
- Navigation: Finally, those that don’t have access to an advanced bike computer or smartwatch might want to use their mobile devices for navigation. It is essential to use a mounted setup to have the best experience when using your phone for navigation.
While the reasons mentioned above are some of the most common for carrying your mobile phone while cycling, there are many other possible reasons to have your phone with you. Before riding, it’s essential to determine whether you need to carry your mobile phone or if it’s safe to leave it somewhere else. This decision will depend on various factors, including the nature of your cycling trip, the potential risks involved, and the availability of safe storage options.
6 Best Ways To Carry Your Phone When Cycling
Before exploring the methods to carry your phone while cycling, it’s important to consider why you need to do so. Depending on your needs, there are several reasons to carry your phone, including for navigation, fitness tracking, communication, and safety purposes.
Here are some of the best methods for carrying your phone while cycling:
- In Your Pockets
One of the most common methods for carrying your phone while cycling is to place it in your pockets. This option is ideal for those with the right clothing that has pockets designed for mobile devices. For example, cycling jerseys often have a pocket on the back of the garment specifically for this purpose.
While this method keeps your phone out of the way and doesn’t obstruct your cycling, accessing your phone from a rear pocket may take some practice and be a tedious process.
- Any Backpack You Carry
For competitive cyclists, carrying a backpack may not be practical as it can weigh you down and hinder your performance. However, casual cyclists who need to carry additional equipment or items may opt for a backpack or hydration pack.
If you are using a backpack or hydration pack, you can place your mobile phone inside it to keep it safe and secure. This option provides easy access to your phone, and you don’t have to worry about it obstructing your cycling. However, it’s important to ensure that your phone is protected from any potential damage while in the backpack.
Accessing your phone while riding can be challenging, and you may have to come to a complete stop to use it safely. For those who require quick and easy access to their mobile device, using a smartwatch or earpieces may be a better option. These devices allow you to stay connected and answer important calls without having to stop your bike.
- Handlebar Mounted
To carry your mobile phone efficiently while cycling, mounting it would be the optimal choice. Mounting your phone, much like setting up a bike computer, would provide you with direct access to the device and allow you to navigate its features effortlessly while cycling.
Mounting your phone while cycling has few drawbacks, with the only significant concern being the risk of damaging your phone. If you fall off your bike or accidentally brush against a branch, your phone could be knocked off its mounting mechanism. To mitigate this risk, it is worth considering using a protective casing for your phone when using this method.
- Normal Pants Pocket
While not everyone may be interested in investing in specialized cycling gear, casual riders may prefer to stick with their regular clothing. These garments can be more affordable than cycling-specific apparel, which can be expensive and unnecessary if you do not cycle regularly or with great intensity. As a result, many casual riders opt to wear traditional cargo pants, even though this may not be the best option.
One advantage of standard pants is that they typically come with a variety of pockets that can be used to store your mobile phone and wallet. However, it’s important to keep in mind that this may not be the most practical option and could impede your cycling performance. It can also be frustrating to have to stop and adjust items in your pockets while riding. For these reasons, it is generally not recommended to rely solely on pockets in regular clothing for carrying items while cycling.
- The Modern Armband
In recent years, many runners have turned to using armbands with pockets to carry electronic devices while exercising. These armbands allow you to easily strap the pocket to your arm and provide a convenient and accessible location to store your device. However, one potential downside of using an armband is that your mobile device may still be at risk of damage. If you accidentally hit a branch or fall off your bike, your phone could be damaged in the process. Therefore, it’s important to ensure that you use a sturdy protective casing to keep your device safe.
- Dedicated Bike Bag
For those interested in cycling accessories, bike bags are a popular option for carrying items while cycling. These bags can be easily mounted to the frame of your bike and typically feature zippers to keep items from falling out. Bike bags are affordable, practical, and provide additional storage space for gear as needed.
One of the advantages of using a dedicated bike bag to carry your mobile phone while mountain biking is that it offers reliable protection for your device. Many bike bags are designed with adequate padding to help safeguard your phone from potential damage, such as impacts or falls. In our testing, we have found that bike bags have few drawbacks and recommend them as one of the most efficient methods for carrying your mobile phone while cycling.
Is It Safe To Carry Your Phone While Cycling?
While carrying a mobile phone while cycling may be necessary for some riders, it is important to be aware of the potential risks involved. These risks can be mitigated by using secure carrying methods, but it is important to take precautions and account for the following:
- Theft: One major risk to consider when carrying your mobile phone while cycling is the possibility of theft. If criminals notice your phone in your armband or mounted on your bike, you could become a target for robbery. It is important to take precautions to minimize this risk, such as choosing more discreet methods for carrying your phone or being aware of your surroundings and avoiding high-crime areas. Additionally, you may want to consider investing in a phone tracking app or carrying a personal alarm device as an extra layer of security.
- Damaged Phone: Another risk to be aware of when carrying your mobile phone while cycling is the potential for damage if you fall or hit a branch. This could cause your phone to become dislodged or even break, leading to significant damage. It is important to take measures to protect your phone, such as using a sturdy phone case or opting for a more secure carrying method like a bike bag. Additionally, it is important to exercise caution when cycling and be aware of any potential hazards in your surroundings to avoid accidents.
- Losing Your Phone: When carrying your mobile phone while cycling, there is always a risk of it falling out or becoming dislodged. To avoid this, it is essential to ensure that your phone is properly secured in its carrying method, whether it be a bike bag, armband, or mount. It is also important to periodically check that your phone is still in place throughout your ride, especially after any sudden movements or impacts. Taking these precautions can help prevent your phone from falling out and becoming damaged or lost while cycling.
How Do You Carry Your Phone While Cycling Conclusion
Deciding whether or not to bring your phone on a cycling trip requires careful consideration of the potential risks. Fortunately, there are now modern accessories available that make it more convenient to bring your phone along. If you do decide to bring your phone, we suggest using one of the methods mentioned above. If there are any other methods you have used that we haven’t mentioned, please feel free to let us know in the comment section.